Athletic Training

To become a Certified Athletic Trainer you must go through an Athletic Training Education Program (ATEP) which requires a 2.5 GPA or above.

After the ATEP, you then apply to sit for a three-part certification exam through the National Athletic Training Association - Board of Certification (NATA-BOC). When you pass all three sections within a year you are then considered a Certified Athletic Trainer or ATC.

Are you still interested? Then keep reading.


William Penn University does not have an Athletic Training Education Program (ATEP), but we can help you get to one.

This means that all prospective students would need to get their master's degree. There are about 20 entry-level Master's Athletic Training Education Programs across the country that we can help you apply to in order to be eligible to sit for the exam.

Still interested?

These majors are the most direct routes to becoming a Certified Athletic Trainer through WPU.
--Physical Education - with or without a teaching endorsement
--Strength & Conditioning

With both of these majors, four additional classes are required:

  • CHEM 101 General Chemistry 1 
  • LDRS 203 Probability & Statistics 
  • PHYS 211 College Physics 1 
  • BIOL 313 Comparative Anatomy 
  • Or BIOL 315 Physiology 

Pre-Professional Biology majors need to take a number of other classes in Physical Education to meet the requirements for the Master's program. 

Come into the Athletic Training Office and talk with us for further details.